The Plan So Far
- We are seeking donations of land and easements across Iowa, working with landowners to meet their needs and goals while preserving land to grow healthy food for good. Landowners can retain use and income from their land until they no longer need it if they choose.
- On parcels the land trust owns, we will offer qualified farmers long-term, inheritable leases that free them from a lifetime of debt. They will enjoy the pride of ownership over their homes, barns and business, but we will take the price of the land itself out of the equation for sustainable farmers all across Iowa.
- Land trust farms will become hands-on, real-life educational centers for farmers and the community to learn the latest, greatest techniques in sustainable food production from other farmers employing best practices from around the country and the world while developing new ones all the time.
- With city planners and private developers, we will build small farms into the planning process. These independent, family farms will provide a diverse, healthy landscape, increasing nearby home values while attracting new businesses seeking a high quality of life for their employees.
- We will work with established farm groups and farm management companies to market SILT farms to aspiring and experienced farmers looking to grow healthy food in Iowa, making Iowa a great state to move to and grow young families and good food.
- In late 2015, we developed our first business plan. We welcome feedback and questions.
Interested in learning more? If you are a landowner, farmer, developer, planner or just interested citizen, please contact us today. We’ll be glad to talk out the details.