SILT is seeking a motivated, passionate Development Director who will build upon the organization’s basic fundraising and development strategy that includes direct mail, events, major donor relations and innovative programs.
Join Our Team!
SILT Development Director Job Opening
The Sustainable Iowa Land Trust is an innovative statewide 501c3 nonprofit dedicated to protecting land to grow healthy food. Under the leadership of a strong, supportive board of directors, we have grown to nearly $3 million in assets in 4 years with a $100,000 annual operating budget and 2 FTEs.
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of SILT’s fundraising including membership, major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events, corporate partnerships and capital campaigns, prioritizing projects for the available hours of work. The successful Director will work closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to transform this part time position into a full time career by vaulting SILT into financial sustainability through a creative, multi-pronged approach to development. Alternately, SILT will entertain proposals from independent nonprofit professionals to perform this work for a project rate.
• Must embrace the mission of SILT.
• Has strong interpersonal and writing skills.
• Has knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
• Possesses the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
• Has the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
• Is a self-starter who will initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
• Is organized and exhibits follow through on tasks and goals.
• Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, demonstrates presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
• Has a Bachelor’s degree and 3 years’ minimum experience in professional fundraising.
• Create the blueprint for organizational sustainability that will fully engage the organization’s current and future donors in the mission.
• Implement SILT’s lodging and corporate partner campaigns.
• Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
• Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
• Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
• Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequests.
• Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
• Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
• Coordinate fund raising special events.
• Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about SILT with interested groups and individuals.
• Attend Staff and select Board Committee meetings.
• Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
• Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities.
• Maintain gift recognition programs.
• Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
• Perform other related duties as requested.
Flexible, part-time position based on results. Salary commensurate with experience and SILT’s capacity. We offer Paid Time Off, casual work atmosphere, strong organizational culture and work-from-home opportunities.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Submit resume, cover letter that includes salary requirement and proof you understand SILT’s mission and audience and 3 professional references to Executive Director Suzan Erem at email@example.com.
APPLICATIONS DUE: January 31, 2019
SILT is an Equal Opportunity Employer based in West Branch, Iowa.