Iowa is Ground Zero for the impact of industrial agriculture on our economy, our health and our environment.
We are the No. 1 contributor to the Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico. We import nearly 90% of our food and export almost all we grow. We rank 6th in childhood obesity from a diet based on processed foods.
The Sustainable Iowa Land Trust permanently protects Iowa land to grow healthy, natural table food here in the Heartland.
Our Impact is Clear:
- Cleaner water and healthier soils
- Young people and new Americans on farmland
- Diversified local economies
- Increased supply of fresh, organic food
- Mitigated climate change
- True opportunity in rural America