Some findings include:
- A majority of non-operator landowners live an average of 15 miles away from their land.
- More than half have farmed themselves, and 1/4 have helped their parents farm.
- They own a median of 171 acres, 150 of which are farmed.
- 96% report considering soil quality when making management decisions.
- Less than 1/3 consider it a long-term real estate investment.
- 84% of them are in year-to-year leases with their operators…
- But 81% were willing to offer longer leases for the sake of improved conservation.